Monday 12 December 2011

First Foray into MIDI

In the last few weeks, I have rather fallen in love with electronics. I bought an Arduino (a programmable circuit board with lots of sockets for connecting other components) and have been tinkering ever since. Below is a video of my first successful attempt to send data from the circuit board to my synthesiser.


Technical info: The Arduino is running a simple program which changes the pitch and length of the notes it is outputting according to the position of the linear potentiometer. The notes are being played on a Micro Korg, which is receiving MIDI data from the Arduino's serial pin (via a standard MIDI socket, connected with crocodile clips). The cool part, as far as I'm concerned, is that the Arduino is not connected to a computer in this clip; once the program has been uploaded to it, it can run it using just a 9V battery.

No comments:

Post a Comment