- Powered by a USB cable, not a 9V battery (battery was a bit flat)
- Jack socket is connected by crocodile leads (need to drill a hole)
- Only two strings (couldn't be bothered to string up the whole thing)
- Most sensors still missing but it should be pretty easy to add them
- Currently have six knobs and an infra-red sensor
- Missing various push buttons, rocker switches, light sensor and accelerometer
- Missing the "virtual strings" and fret sensors, which will require many extra weeks of thought
Monday, 16 April 2012
Wednesday, 4 April 2012
- Power distributed to sensors via blocks of screw terminals with LED power indicators
- Three working MIDI output ports
- LCD screen with four-button menu system (up, down, enter, back)
- Ability to add as many sensors as there is room for on the guitar without horrendous wiring issues
- Wire in six knobs, two push buttons and a light sensor
- Add 9V power socket and latching on/off push switch
- Attach guitar pickups to smaller output jack and restring guitar
- Fret detection and strum detection (as seen in a previous video), with note data sent to a synthesiser
- Miniature keyboard
Saturday, 25 February 2012
Yesterday, I published my first music app to the Android Market. The app is pretty unhelpful, inefficient and ergonomically unsatisfying, but the point is that it works, it's been published, and it was completed in roughly a day. I wanted to go through the process of designing, writing and publishing an Android app to see what was difficult and what wasn't. Here are some things I learned:
1) Although audio latency in Android is woeful, the stability of the audio stream seems pretty decent.
2) Flash makes it very easy to write and package apps, but it's very easy to slow an app to a standstill if you're not careful.
3) The search functionality in Android Market is geared towards showing people the top twenty apps for a particular search term, which is not great for small developers.
4) I've just realised that this blog has become nerdy and technical. Sorry. Here is the link to the app:
Friday, 10 February 2012
Saturday, 4 February 2012
Technical info: I am aware that there are far too many wires in this video.
Tuesday, 24 January 2012
- I'm now using the actual microcontroller (circuit board) that will be in the guitar, the Arduino Mega 2560. This has a lot more inputs and outputs than the Arduino Uno, which I was using before.
- The menu system is now pretty much fully functional, allowing me to route any sensor to any MIDI parameter and adjust settings such as the minimum and maximum values a sensor can transmit.
- I can now connect three MIDI devices simultaneously (I have been having tremendous fun controlling my synth and sampler at the same time).
- I have tracked down a large sheet of transparent plastic which will be cut down to size and used as a giant scratch-plate to mount the sensors (and cover the large hole in the guitar).
Sunday, 8 January 2012
Also, the display on the final guitar won't show the sensor values every time they change - that was just to demonstrate that I have information about each sensor (well, its name, anyway) stored in the program. Constantly updating the display increases latency which, as we all know, is inversely proportional to one's ability to rock.
Thursday, 5 January 2012
Technical Stuff: The display requires 7 inputs. I've used a shift register so that I only need to take up three of the Arduino's outputs. Thanks to the Arduino Playground site for the code and schematics.
Other things I'm working on and may share in the coming weeks:
- Controlling the Gakken SX-150 analogue synth via the Arduino
- MIDI interface for Android phones/tablets
- Colour-sensitive webcam-based MIDI controller for Windows
- More details on THE GUITAR